Listen Live on  

1310 WIBA

Madison's News/Talk Station

Chemical leak in Madison's Research Park

Chemical leak in Madison's Research Park
Posted January 10th, 2014 @ 6:09am by Madison Fire Dept

Three people were transported to UW Hospital after they inhaled fumes from the chemical, Chlorine Dioxide.

On Thursday around 5:40 pm, City of Madison Fire crews and HazMat Team members responded to Mentor Biologics at 535 Science Drive for a chemical spill of Chlorine Dioxide. Chlorine Dioxide is highly toxic and highly flammable.

Prior to the arrival of Fire personnel, employees of Mentor Biologics shut down the HVAC – air handling unit, isolated the chemical and placed the patients in an isolated area.

When Fire Department crews arrived, it was found that three people were exposed to the chemical by inhalation. Three med units transported the patients to UW Hospital. All were alert and speaking to paramedics during transportation.

The Hazmat teams stayed on scene to ensure the chemical was contained and that the building was safe for the employees to return.

Recommended Stories

More from 1310 WIBA