Wednesday, August 6, 2014

DANE COUNTY, Wis. --- The Waunakee Fire Chief tells NBC 15 News a leaky valve probably caused today's fire at the Dane County Clear Horizons biodigester. This is only a probable cause right now. Methane gas leaked.

Investigators say a fan probably sparked the methane blowing the fabric roof off the digester. The valve and roof will need to be replaced.

In March a broken pipe allowed thousands of gallons to manure to leak from the facility. NBC 15 News reported then that the 35,000 gallons of manure were captured by a retention pond.

There were no injuries from today's fire.


No injuries reported following an explosion and small fire at a manure digester near Waunakee this morning.

Authorities were called to the facility in the 6300 block of Cuba Valley Road, in the Town of Vienna, just after 8:30 a.m.

Officials blame a malfunction inside the plant, which caused the cover of the digester to burst into flames. The cost to replace the cover is $250, 000.