From Chief Mike Koval's blog:
June 2018.....projected to be the WORST MONTH EVER in the City of Madison for heroin deaths and the second worst for overdoses. A sad truth.
There were 35 known overdoses in June (2018). In June (2017) there were 9; thus we saw a 289% increase.
There were 11 suspected deaths from heroin overdoses in June (2018). In June (2017) there were 2; thus we saw a 450% increase!
What we know about this heroin epidemic from June –
- 2 subjects who overdosed where homeless; neither is one of the 11 fatalities.
- 3 subjects were found eligible and referred to the Madison Addiction Recovery Initiative (MARI); all 3 have at least called to set up an assessment.
- Approximately 10 of the overdoses occurred in places of business; several others occurred in parking lots or streets.
- 26 of the 35 subjects experiencing an overdose were males.
- 25 of the 35 subjects experiencing an overdose were in their 20's or 30's.
This is an issue that continues to threaten our community, our friends, our family......there is hope and help out there! https://safercommunity.net/recovery-friendly-directory/