MADISON (WKOW) -
Wisconsin wide receiver Quintez Cephus tweeted a letter on Saturday night, announcing he is taking a leave from the team after being informed by his lawyers that charges are pending against him from the Dane County District Attorney's office from an incident in April. Cephus proclaimed his innocence in the tweet, stating "I have been wrongfully accused of unlawful conduct and I am innocent of any allegations associated with this consensual relationship."
The Madison Police Department released a statement on the matter tonight on behalf of Chief Mike Koval, saying, “MPD has recently been made aware that there is an individual on the UW Football Team making various statements through social media platforms. The MPD has conducted an investigation relative to the information that this individual has been sharing. In so far as this is an open investigation awaiting further decisions from the District Attorney’s Office. MPD will not be commenting further out of respect for the rights of individuals who have not been charged and are entitled to full due process of the law.”
Coach Paul Chryst spoke at a previously planned media availability after practice on Saturday night.
"Earlier today I met with [Quintez Cephus] and I knew he was planning on releasing a statement and right now I don't have anything more to add on that," said Chryst. When asked if it was his idea or Cephus' to take a leave of absence, he would not comment.
Cephus was to be the team's top returning receiver, despite playing in only 9 games after suffering a season-ending leg injury at Indiana. Cephus had 30 catches in 2017 for 501 yards and a team-high 6 touchdowns.
Coach Chryst spoke on Saturday night about what Cephus' absence means for the rest of the receiving corps.
"I mean as far as football wise, you got the group," said Chryst. "AJ [Taylor], Danny [Davis], [Kendric Pryor] - they played and they'll continue to develop and then there's gonna be some other guys. You're talking about depth."