SUN PRAIRIE (WKOW) -- Sun Prairie police say they received six calls in just three hours on Tuesday of people reporting a suspicious phone call supposedly from the IRS.
Police say in the call, the scammer says you owe back taxes and have 24 hours to pay, or you'll be arrested.
The IRS does not function like that though, Sun Prairie police say. They add the group does not do the following:
- Call to demand immediate payment using a specific payment method such as a prepaid debit card, gift card or wire transfer.
- Threaten to immediately bring in local police or other law-enforcement groups to have the taxpayer arrested for not paying.
- Demand that taxes be paid without giving taxpayers the opportunity to question or appeal the amount owed.
- Ask for credit or debit card numbers over the phone.
- Call you about an unexpected refund.
If you receive a call like this, police encourage you to hang up.