Beloit man sentenced to 40 years in shooting death of 5-year-old

BELOIT (WKOW) — A Beloit man convicted in the 2016 shooting death of a 5-year-old boy was sentenced to 40 years in prison Friday in Rock County Circuit Court.

Sergio Ortiz-Raygoza pleaded guilty July 19, 2018 to first degree reckless homicide in the death of Austin Ramos, Jr. I n January of 2016, Ramos Jr. was shot while sitting in the backseat of his father’s car.

Beloit Police said his father had been affiliated with a gang in the past and Ortiz was looking to scare or harm members of that rival gang.

The other defendants in the case, Hugo Martinez, Eric Salazar-Mota and Isaac Torres, all have cases still pending.

“I watched my grandson die before my eyes,”  Alicia Martinez told Ortiz in court.

“I know there are no words to express how sorry I am,”  Ortiz said.

The victim’s grandmother also addressed Judge Michael Haakenson.

“I beg you for a maximum sentence so we can start to have peace in our lives,”  Martinez said.

The 40-year-prison sentence was the maximum for the crime.  Ortiz’s sentence will be shortened by nearly three years as credit for time he has already served since his 2016 arrest.

“I really can’t put into words how horrific this is,” Haakenson said.


More on this story at WKOW 27 News

title

Content Goes Here