MADISON (WKOW) — Construction crews are putting the finishing touches on Verona Road (US 18/151) between Raymond Road and County PD/McKee Road in Fitchburg.
This weekend (Nov. 8-10), crews will work day and night to complete the remaining items and shift Verona Road traffic onto the new, expanded lanes under Williamsburg Way and over County PD. Overhead signs will help motorists navigate the area, including the interchange ramps to access the local roadways.
To accommodate the Verona Road traffic shifts between Raymond Road and County PD, the following lane restrictions will occur over the weekend:
Friday and Saturday (Nov. 8-9)
· One lane will be closed along Verona Road southbound from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday. Minor delays are anticipated through this area.
· The lane closure on southbound Verona Road will resume at 7 p.m. Friday until 10 a.m. Saturday.
· Northbound Verona Road will be reduced to one lane from 8 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Saturday.
· A brief closure of the southbound Verona Road ramp to Williamsburg Way is anticipated between 4 a.m. and 6 a.m. Saturday. Motorists must use alternate routes during this timeframe.
· Starting Saturday morning, three lanes will be open for southbound Verona Road traffic under Williamsburg Way and over County PD.
Sunday and Monday (Nov. 10-11)
· One lane will be closed on Verona Road northbound from 5 a.m. Sunday to 5 a.m. Monday.
· No ramp closures are anticipated at County PD and Williamsburg Way during these operations.
· By Monday morning, three lanes will be open for northbound Verona Road traffic over County PD and under Williamsburg Way.
These operations and lane restrictions are weather dependent and subject to change.
Motorists are advised to be alert for crews and equipment, drive with caution through this area, and eliminate distractions when behind the wheel. Drivers should plan ahead and consider alternate routes this weekend.
“We greatly appreciate the public’s continued patience during the project,” said John Vesperman, WisDOT Verona Road Project Chief. “We also value the ongoing partnership with the Verona Road Business Coalition to keep businesses involved throughout the project. We encourage everyone to travel on the new lanes and visit the local businesses!”
In 2020, the final year of the Verona Road Project, crews will reconstruct and expand County PD/McKee Road from Fitchrona Road to Commerce Park Drive, including the final configuration for the Verona Road interchange.
The entire Verona Road Project is scheduled to be completed in fall 2020.
More at WKOW 27 News