Massage oils on towels and sheets cause fire at west side spa

MADISON (WKOW) -- A fire that started at a Madison spa on Monday was accidental, according to the Madison Fire Department.

Crews were called to The Haven Spa on Grand Canyon Drive at 7:15 a.m. for reports of alarms sounding and a strong odor somewhere inside the building, which houses multiple businesses, including a childcare center.

When firefighters got there, people inside the building were evacuating.

Firefighters found the fire inside the laundry room. A burning basket was extinguished and place outside. Crews ventilated the building and then everyone was able to return.

The investigation team said the fire was accidental.

Towels and sheets containing massage oils had been washed and dried the night prior to the fire. The fabrics were placed in a laundry basket, where heat continued to build over time, ultimately resulting in spontaneous combustion.

No permanent damage was done to the building.

More at WKOW 27 News

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content