Mother’s boyfriend faces reckless homicide charge in death of toddler

The man arrested in connection with the death of a Janesville toddler is expected to be charged with reckless homicide, Police Chief David Moore said Tuesday.

Steven M. Horan, 30, was arrested early Saturday after police were called to his girlfriend's home where they found a 15-month-old with serious injuries.

The victim's mother identifies her as Jaylee Conaway.

Authorities say Conaway died Monday at a Rockford hospital.

Police officials say when officers arrived at a home at 526 Eisenhower Avenue Saturday, the child was not breathing, and the mother was administering C.P.R. Her boyfriend Horan was also at the residence. "We are aware that the suspect consumed alcohol throughout the evening," Lt. Charles Aagaard says, noting Horan was watching the toddler. "That definitely played a role."

Aagard says Conaway suffered blunt force trauma.

Chief David Moore says a computer glitch left the first responding officer initially unprepared for a violence against a young child.

To read more go to WKOW


A Janesville man faces charges after police say he seriously injured the 15-month-old child of his girlfriend.

Steven M. Horan, 30, faces a possible charge of physical abuse to a child causing great bodily harm.

Police arrived at about 12:30 a.m. Saturday to a home on the 500 block of Eisenhower for a report of what police said was a "pulseless non-breathing person."

When they arrived, police say the 15-month-old child was not breathing, and the mother was administering C.P.R. Her boyfriend also was at the residence.

The child was transported to Mercy Hospital with life-threatening injuries, according to a Janesville police news release.

Officers say they learned that the child had been in the care of the mother’s boyfriend. The mother had left the residence, and upon returning found the child seriously injured.

Investigators say they determined that the injuries to the child were "non-accidental."

The child has been transferred to Javon Bea Hospital in Rockford, for continued treatment

To read more go to WKOW

Photo: WKOW

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content