Two families displaced following fire in Sun Prairie Township

UPDATE (WKOW) -- The American Red Cross is providing comfort and relief to the two families displaced due to a duplex fire.

American Red Cross of Wisconsin Communication Officer, Justin Kern, said they were able to provide temporary lodging, food, and access to health and mental health resource as part of their initial response.

Along with their community partners in Dane County, the American Red Cross of Wisconsin will continues helping both families forward in their recovery process.

UPDATE (WKOW) -- Sun Prairie Fire & Rescue (SPF&R) determined the fire was caused by unattended cooking.

When SPF&R arrived heavy smoke was coming out of the front door to one of the units in the two-unit building. They helped an adult with limited mobility away from the structure to be reunited with two minors who escaped before rescue teams had arrived.

The residents told fire-fighters a pet was still inside, but later it was able to find its way out through the open door.

According to the SPF&R report, after the fire crew entered the home they found the fire in the kitchen on the top of the stove which had extended to the cabinets above. Then the crew put out the fire, searched the unit for anyone still inside, and used a fan to clear out the smoke. Fire sprinklers were not in the unit.

The SPF&R estimate the cost of the damages to the structure to be between $75,000 - $100,000, plus an additional $25,000 to contents.

The crew has determined the unit unlivable, as well as the adjacent one due to the severe impact of smoke.

More at WKOW 27 News

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content