Firefighters issue warning about dehumidifiers

GREENFIELD (WKOW) -- With all our recent rain, you may have had your dehumidifier going.

Firefighters are now sending out a warning after those devices caused two house fires in the past week.

Those fires happened in Greenfield and in Richfield in Southeast Wisconsin.

Faulty dehumidifiers were also to blame for fires in Oconomowoc and Fond du Lac last year.

Firefighters are warning everyone to check if their devices have been recalled because they could be a fire hazard.

"Dehumidifiers are in the basement, tucked away in the furnace room by the drain, so they're out of sight," said Lt. Zach Zimmer of the Greenfield Fire Department. "So if something does go wrong with them, the fire has a lot of time to grow before it is discovered."

Firefighters recommend you check the Consumer Product Safety Commission website to see if your dehumidifier has been recalled.

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content